Michigan’s next governor needs to be laser focused on getting things done that will actually make a difference in people’s lives right now, like fixing the damn roads, improving education and skills training, and making health care more affordable for families.
The problem is that Governor Snyder and Republicans in Lansing have spent the past eight years rigging the rules of Michigan’s economy to favor wealthy campaign donors like Education Secretary Betsy DeVos over regular Michigan families.
Since 2011, Republicans in Lansing have: passed the Emergency Manager law, which created the Flint Water Crisis; put the lives of Michigan veterans at risk by privatizing jobs at the Grand Rapids Home for Veterans; doubled campaign contribution limits infusing even more money into state politics; and refused to extend the Freedom of Information Act to the governor’s office and the legislature.
As a result, Michigan’s lack of transparency and accountability earned us an F on a 2015 Center for Public Integrity’s survey. Michigan is now dead last in the nation for state ethics and transparency laws.
My Michigan Sunshine Plan will rewrite the rules in Lansing to work for regular families by making state government more open, transparent, and accountable to Michigan taxpayers. It’s time to get it done, so we can build a better Michigan for everyone to infuse integrity in Governance and earn back public confidence.
My Michigan Sunshine Plan Includes:
- Tough new lobbying rules including real-time expenditure reporting, and a 5-year “cooling off” period for former legislators, which will be the longest in the nation.
- Greater transparency requirements for the MEDC including stronger accountability measures for job creation.
- Repealing the 2012 Emergency Manager law restoring local elected government.
- Reversing the Citizens United on steroids legislation that allows unlimited campaign spending.
- Expanding the Freedom of Information Act to include the governor’s office and legislature.
- Strengthening the Open Meetings Act to provide for the live streaming of all state board and commission meetings.
- Ending partisan gerrymandering and creating an Independent Redistricting Commission.
- Vetoing all legislation that is designed to circumvent the public’s right to referendum and pursuing legislative change to prohibit future abuses.
- Passing personal financial disclosure and conflict of interest laws for political candidates and senior appointees.
- Requiring accountability for campaign robocalls.